1. If I have a Malaysian wife/husband, can I still apply for the MM2H program?

Previously, the ‘Spouse Visa’ holders were not eligible to apply for MM2H visa. However, the rules has been changed and you are welcomed to apply now.

2. Do I have to move to Malaysia as soon as I get the MM2H visa?

No. You do not have to. There is no minimum requirement for the duration of stay in the country. The MM2H visa will allow you to enter and leave the country anytime with no restriction.

3. I am not married but my partner and I have been living together for a long time. Can she apply for the program?

If you are not married, you will need to apply separately and thus you will both need to meet the requirement for the programme.

4. Will I get PR (Permanent Residency) status if I apply for MM2H?

By holding a MM2H visa does not give a Permanent Residency status or allow you to convert to PR status. The MM2H visa is a 10-year visa which gives the flexibility to travel in and out of Malaysia freely.

5. Why do I need to adhere to the dateline on the Entry Visa since my MM2H approval is valid for 6 months?

The Entry Visa validity period is for the Malaysian Embassy to stamp your passport. With the Entry Visa stamping done, you will still be given another 2 months grace period to come to Malaysia.

6. If I miss the Entry Visa dateline, can I still come into Malaysia with a Tourist Visa?

For those who come in with a Tourist Visa, you will be stamped for a Journey Performed Visa, subject to MYR 520 per passport.

7. If my MM2H approval validity has lapsed, can I still stamp my passport?

This is usually not allowed. However, you may apply for an extension of your approval for another 6 months with valid reasons. To apply for an approval extension, we can only apply one month before the expiry date.

8. Should I make an appointment with the Malaysian Embassy to stamp my visa?

No. However, you may need to observe the time set by the Embassy for application and collection. Please ensure the Entry Visa is stamped with your MM2H Reference Number.

9. What is the maximum period I can stay in Malaysia upon my arrival, prior to my MM2H visa stamping? I need time to make arrangements for the transfer of my money for the MM2H Fixed Deposit?

The Immigration at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) check point will usually grant a 90 days stay for you. However, there were instances when some clients were given only 30 days. This is solely at the discretion of the Immigration Check-point.

10. Can I stamp my MM2H Visa first while my dependants stamp at later date?

Yes as the main applicant, you can. However, the entry visa will be lapsed for your dependants. You will need to pay MYR 520 per passport for a Journey Performed Visa and for converting a Tourist Visa to Mm2h Visa.

1. Can I come to Malaysia to open a bank account first and later return to stamp MM2H Visa during my next visit?

It is possible and we can arrange the bank opening process. Kindly let us know of your arrival schedule. At this point, you may want to enter with a Tourist Visa. It is advisable to use your Entry Visa letter for your whole family during the next trip for stamping.

2. If I purchase a house for over 1 million ringgit, must I still place a fixed deposit?

Yes .New applicants who have purchased a house for over one million are not exempted from the fixed deposit. However, you may opt to withdraw partially after deposited FD over one year period. Relevant documents are to be submitted prior withdrawal process.
(For 50 years criteria- Max withdrawal up to RM50,000)
(For 55 years old criteria-Max withdrawal up to RM150,000)

3. Am I allowed to withdraw my FD for a few months and then top it up again?

No. You are not allowed to withdrawal this FD account for the first year. Nevertheless, permission for partially withdrawal can be obtained from Ministry of Tourism and Culture after one year. Proof of property purchasing, children education fee, buying vehicle and paying for the medical fee are permitted to proceed for withdrawal application.

4. Are the financial deposits required for each adult and child that apply for MM2H?

No. The fixed deposit placement is meant for main applicant only.

5. How much interest will I earn on the fixed deposit, and can I keep this money?

You may keep the interest on the Fixed Deposit. Interest paid to foreigners varies from bank to bank, but is currently around 3-4 percent.

6. Is it possible to open a Malaysian bank account from abroad?

Once you have obtained the MM2H approval and you have a bank account in your home country, then need to liaise with your bank officer and notify them that you wish to open an account in Malaysia. They should be able to contact a bank manager from Malaysia for you.

7. When do I need to bank in the FD?

Once the Conditional Approval Letter is granted, you are required to be in Malaysia to open an FD account. Due to the Custom and Immigration restriction (there is limitation of total currency to carry on person), you are advised to make the currency transfer arrangement online prior arriving Malaysia. This usually can take up to few days to complete.

1. Do I have to buy a property if I am approved?

Not necessary. The programme does not acquire you to do this. According to research by The Expat Magazine, around 15 percent of applicants who move here choose to rent properties or stay in service apartments.

2. Must foreigners buy new Malaysia property? Or I can purchase property from individual owners (second hand/ third hand property)?

Yes. Participants can purchase any type of housing properties provided that it has been issued with CF (Certificate of Fitness).

3. Can I keep pets in my condominium?

The By-laws of the Strata Title Act state that a parcel proprietor is not allowed to keep any animal in his parcel or on the common property which may cause annoyance to any other proprietor.

1. Can I start up business for examples: open a restaurant / shop in Malaysia under MM2H?

Yes. You are allowed to start up own business as Director/Shareholder of company. You are also allowed to invest in local companies as an inactive partner and participate in local share market too.

2. Can I apply for local financing from a local bank to purchase a house in Malaysia?

Yes, you may apply for the loan in Malaysia subject to the terms and conditions of respective banks or financial institutions.

1. My pension and other income is taxed at source. Even though it is not taxed in Malaysia, I still pay tax in my home country so I receive no financial benefits.

If your country has a double tax agreement with Malaysia (such as the UK and Germany), then you can register with the tax authorities in Malaysia, even though you have no tax liability in this country, and show this to your home country’s tax authorities, who may authorise your pension to be paid tax free.

2. Am I subjected to the property gain tax if I make profit from selling my house in Malaysia?

You will be taxed of 5% of the gain profit from the property sold after 5 years of purchase. However, you will be taxed 30% if this is done less than 5 years purchase.

3. Is the interest on the fixed deposit taxable?


4. Is there any inheritance tax in Malaysia?


5. What types of taxes that MM2H participants subjected to?

All income earned from Malaysia sources such as investment in local companies, local share market and rental received from property will be liable to taxation according to the tax law of the country.

6. Is income remitted from abroad taxable?

No. The income remitted abroad is not subject to tax in Malaysia.

1. Will there be any specific requirement for children to start their education in Malaysia?

Not at all. Your children who are under 21 years old can choose to study in any of the pre-school, government school, private school or international school. A simple assessment may be conducted before entry. The government school may need you to register your children at Ministry of Education prior intake. For children above 21 years old, a student visa is required by the College/ University.

2. How is the fee structure if my child study in International school?

You just have to pay the fees according to the individual school rate as there is no difference between local and foreign students in term of school fees.

3. Can successful applicants be allowed to seek employment in Malaysia?

Qualified MM2H participants aged 50 and above with specialized skills and expertise that are required in the critical sectors of the economy, are allowed to work not more than 20 hours per week. The application for the special part-time work permit must be submitted and processed by the Immigration and it is subject to the Immigration's approval.